Laparoscopic gastric plication is a new technique of surgical weight loss. The stomach is folded inwards twice to create a much smaller stomach without cutting/stapling or banding it. It is, therefore, has decreased the risks of leakage at the stapler line that can lead to severe infection and death.
Short-term results (3 years follow-up) shows weight loss as good as laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy. It is considered a new investigational technique in the United States, but it has been done in many countries such as Mexico, Turkey and countries in South America.
- No band required.
- No adjustment needed.
- Less follow-up needed as compared to gastric banding.
- No stomach cutting or stapling, therefore, less likely to have leakage problem compared to sleeve gastrectomy.
- Short-term excellent efficacy with lower initial risks and complications associated with sleeve gastrectomy or gastric bypass.
- Reversible! If the sutures that hold the stomach in folding position are removed, the stomach goes back to its original size and shape.
- Cost is significantly lower.
- No long-term data.
- Surgical induced weight loss stop after 2 years if a patient does not change their lifestyle.
Dr Cha Kar Huei
MD (Canada) FACS (USA)
Consultant Bariatric and General Surgeon
Dr Cha is a surgeon at the Subang Jaya Medical Centre (SJMC). He graduated from Dalhousie University, Canada in 1998. He entered surgical training at Massachusetts General Hospital and completed his training at the University of Wisconsin in 2004.
He trained at the New York University Medical Centre on minimally invasive bariatric surgery and attained a Fellow of the American College of Surgeon in 2009.
Dr Cha is experienced in minimally invasive surgery with an interest in bariatric surgery. He is also a member of the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS).
Schedule an appointment today to learn more about the procedures.
Subang Jaya Medical Centre
No. 1, Jalan SS12/1A, SS 12,
47500 Subang Jaya, Selangor.
Parkcity Medical Centre
No. 2, Jalan Intisari Perdana,
52200 Desa Parkcity, Kuala Lumpur.